Thank-you for your continued interest in Alkira Secondary College’s Special programs (Masterclass and Sports Academy). Please be advised that applications for these programs have different entrance requirements and cut off dates. Please click on the relevant program links below for detailed information about both programs. All applications and instructions about how to apply will be made available here, on our College webpage, from the beginning of Term 2 and will need to be submitted to the college before advertised closing dates. Please be aware that all applications for the masterclass program will incur a fee.
Alkira Secondary College has always believed in securing the entitlements of every child. As part of this philosophy, it is imperative that personalised learning occurs for those students who display gifted and talented characteristics. To achieve this, our accelerated and enrichment program has been designed to encourage the achievement of excellence in all gifted and talented students, supporting them to reach their full potential.
Along with a tailored program in the core subjects of English, Mathematics, Science and the Humanities at Years 7 to 9, Masterclass students are provided with the opportunity to develop high level skills in the following areas:
- Critical and creative thinking
- Problem solving strategies
- Collaboration and teamwork
Self-regulated learning through improved planning, monitoring, and evaluating personal progress against learning standards
At Year 10, all Masterclass students are offered the opportunity to further extend themselves by undertaking an advanced English program AND up to two VCE subjects in learning areas they have demonstrated a particular aptitude for.
The Alkira Sports Academy takes a total athlete focus when nurturing our students. We take care in supporting our students throughout their entire schooling program, with particular attention towards areas including educational support, work/life balance, periodised programming and emotional development. We have a high priority in helping our Sports Academy students in becoming the best possible version of themselves.
Our key focus areas are providing opportunities for physical development, academic support and chances to develop their leadership skills. This includes:
- Access to Alkira Gymnasium
- Timetabled strength and conditioning sessions (including prehabilitation work)
- Highly productive classes consisting of only Sports Academy students
- Academic monitoring and support throughout the year
- Flexible approach towards learning/deadlines due to high outside of school commitments
- A number of excursions/incursions throughout the year (such as yoga, guest speakers, visits to performance centers, Melbourne Cable Park)
More information regarding our program and processes can be found in the Sports Academy Booklet below.
Sports Academy Booklet
click to view
2024 Sports Academy Application Form
click to view
Note: Applications will close on Friday 23rd June 2023
AFL Umpiring Academy
Alkira Secondary College has partnered with AFL Victoria and South East Juniors to provide students with:
- A fully supervised, free of charge after hours sport leadership program delivered by trained coaches.
- The opportunity for participants to attain AFL Umpire Accreditation, hours towards a Duke of Edinburgh Award and credit towards VET units.
- The chance for students to develop their skills and earn income by officiating with local umpiring group (South East Juniors) as field umpires.
Instrumental Music Lessons
At Alkira Secondary College we offer Instrumental lessons for the following:
- Guitar (Electric & Acoustic)
- Bass Guitar
Our music students also have the opportunity to participate in solo and group settings including Drum Group, Choir, Rock Bands and Keyboard Ensemble. Performance opportunities include End of Term Concerts, Lunch Time Performances, Battle of the Bands and School Assemblies. Benefits of learning a musical instrument at school:
- student engagement
- student wellbeing
- school attendance
- personal and social development
- transfer of skills to other areas
- student involvement at school
- provides opportunities for student ownership of learning through performances
- develops team working skills
- positive social interactions through ensemble rehearsals and performances